Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Cult" books.



(Cult books, not occult books, dammit!)

If Watchmen isn't our all-time best selling book yet, it is almost inevitable.

Meanwhile, I've been selling the two books shown here on a steady basis for years. A couple of titles that most people haven't even heard of, that are passed lovingly from one reader to the next, those in the know, the ultimate 'cult' books.

The first is Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy, Tim Burton's weird poetry and illustrations. Sick humor.

The second is Johnny the Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez, (who did the Invader Zim cartoon). Also sick humor.

Hmmmm. Seems to be a pattern.

I admit, I was a little late on board with these two books. When I sold the mall store, it eventually passed into the hands of a former employee and a former customer, who were a little more hip to the goth scene than me. But I jumped on board.

I love these kinds of books, because I'm pretty sure that Barnes and Nobles doesn't have a clue. Even if they carry them, they are probably buried somewhere.

I stick them front and center, like a badge of honor -- we are different, we carry fun titles.

No comments: