Friday, August 1, 2008

Tales of Beedle the Bard, J.K. Rowling


I don't know......I'm not sure.....do you think this will sell?

Coming in December.

Also, considering my rather relaxed attitude toward books: I keep missing the demand on the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer. I try to get more of them, and even the distributer is out most of the time, with thousands of copies on order.

Anyway, I've got more on order, just not sure about my chances.

This series just seems to get bigger and bigger. I'm glad that it's popular, though I wish there was a broader base support for reading instead of this huge rush for Harry Potter, or Twilight, or the DaVinci Code.

Still....at least they're reading.

I have to rely on news and requests and reviews for these young adult and or women oriented books. I don't have the instinct, though I try to be very responsive.

I ordered what I thought was a four month supply of the Watchmen, and I may run out in a couple of weeks. Never seen such a response to a 30 second trailer. What's really amazing is that this graphic novels has been selling well for years and years. DC Comics is supposed to be making an announcement soon that it's sold like a MILLION copies...or something like that.

Tried ordering a bunch more, since the movie is still 9 months away, and it's out of stock. There were tens of thousands of copies just a day or two ago, so the odds are that one of the big bookchains just raided Diamond's stock and scooped them all up.

Oh, well. I've still got some, and I'll just let them sell naturally for awhile instead of pushing them.

Exciting that graphic novels are getting more and more notice.

Which they deserve.

Which they need to continue to deserve.

Which I have my doubts about. It's too much of a sea change to happen all at once. I saw a huge influx of comic readers when the first Batman Movie came out, what 20 years ago? But since then, there has been response to each license -- selling a lot of V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc. but not yet creating the habit of buying them.

I'm thinking by the end of my career that graphic novels may became a firm part of any true readers repertoire. Not altogether sure that would be good for business, but it would be good for the culture.

Reading and imagination. Words and pictures.

How about that?

No comments: