Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July report.


The Watchmen. Written by Alan Moore. Often considered the best graphic novel ever created. There is a big Hollywood production slated for the prime May movie kickoff season next year, directed by Zach Snyder, the directer of the 300. (It' s not a blue screen movie -- at least, no more than any action movie these days....)

You're going to hear a lot about it.

DC is especially helpful with their movie licenses, giving us a chance to order large quantities in advance and return them on consignment. First time it happened, I ordered what I considered an outrageous number of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (also written by Alan Moore; the book which isn't the movie) and sold through them in half the time I expected. Next up was the V for Vendetta movie (also by Alan Moore, who is in my opinion an absolute genius) and I ordered an even more outrageous number and again sold through.

After a bit of a dud with the Superman movie, DC is again allowing us to get as many copies as we need.

Nothing like having a large inventory of a book that you can look people in the eye and say:

"This is the best graphic novel ever done...."

******************************************************************

Downtown was crazy yesterday. We opened at the regular time, but I told Patrick he could go home at 2:00, and I would decide if I wanted to work the rest of the day or not.

We were doing well enough, I decided to relieve him.

I was astounded by the number of people. It was like Disneyland (well, I've never been to Disneyland, but it's how I imagine it.) For someone like me, who gets a little tight in crowds, it was a bit intimidating. But, being a Holiday, I could park in front of the store and escape safely inside.

We did just a little below average in sales.

Patrick's remark was that when he came over the hill to work, he thought he was in New York. (I don't know if he's ever been there, but it's how he imagines it.)

This has got to be a healthy thing. People milling about, having fun. I know, I know....I hear you thinking....you don't like these things. But that's not exactly true. This was a genuine event, not one that was manufactured. It's traditional and somehow just more authentic to me.

1 comment:

Duncan McGeary said...

I'm really, really hoping they make some of those happy face buttons with a blood splatter on them...