Monday, July 21, 2008

American Flagg



AMERICAN FLAGG, by Howard Chaykin, 1983.

When I first bought the store, I wasn't into comics. I went on a reading spree, and slowly acquired the taste -- or more, recollected how much I used to like the taste.

But it wasn't until I read American Flagg and Swamp Thing that I understood the full potential of the form. (Swamp Thing was a toss away title that DC gave to a newcomer by the name of Alan Moore -- who went on to do V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell, and the Watchmen.)

They are finally releasing a collection of the American Flagg series; and I'll be interested to see if it was as prescient as I remember. (The U.S. consists of corporate malls -- where everyone lives and shops....)

Also this week:

Comic Book Tattoo SC
Daredevil #109
2009 Dragon Calendar
Dmz #33
Flight GN 05
Gon Vol. 5
Hack Slash Annual Suicide Girls
I Killed Adolf Hitler
Invincible #51
Korgi GN Vol 02
Mad Magazine
New Avengers 343
Scud the Disposable Assassin TP
Serenity (restock)
Star Wars Legacy #26 (inked by local Dan Parsons)
Superman #678
Ultimate X-Men #96
Uncanny X-Men #500!!
X-Files Special

And of course much more.

1 comment:

Duncan McGeary said...

I wanted to keep it simple for browsers, so...

yes, I'm aware that Moore was a newcomer to America, but already had an impressive body of work in England, included V for Vendetta.