Sunday, July 6, 2008

This week's books.

Yesterday, a graphic novel review, today... a used book.

I haven't quite figured out this picture placement process, yet. The review of this >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
is below.

Meanwhile, comics are coming in on Thursday this week, because of the holiday. Some of the more significant titles:

Amazing Spider-man #565
Berlin #16
Bone BK #8
Captain America White #0
Goon #26
Indiana Jones & the Tomb of the Gods #1 (New Story!)
Powers #29 (About time....)
Secret Invasion #4 (Best-selling story of the Year.)
Spawn # 180
Trinity #6 (Every week.)
Ultimate Origins #2

And.....drumroll.....Halo Action Figures! The first wave of these sold out everywhere and nary a one to be found.


*************************************************************

I'm going to review books as I read them. I don't read quite as much as I used to: this internet thing has gotten in the way. And I'm not certain how useful it is for the store to review books that aren't new books. Especially books I may not have liked all that much.

But....like I said, I don't read enough books anymore to not review every book I read.

Usually, T. Jefferson Parker is a reliable read. A good writer, mining Southern California. But this book was a miss, mostly because of the female character. She's one of those quirky sort of gals that used to be in 1950's movies -- but completely unbelievable in this day and age. I kid you not, within three pages she has the following three lines of dialouge.

"...you big lug."

"Jeezy peezy," said Frankie."

"Take 'er easy, cowboy..."

Once you start questioning believability, a book can simply fall apart. Too bad, too, because there is some interesting history here; the same history that was in the movie Rainmaker, and Chinatown.

But this was no Chinatown.

No comments: